December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving in Nashville

Reality has set in. I no longer have multiple days off for Thanksgiving, not to mention essentially two months off for Christmas (due to "Jan Term" at Samford). Oh the joys of post-grad life. Now, let me just tell you that because I have don't have quite as many "days-off," those non-working days are enjoyed to the fullest especially since I am completely free of everything. No lingering papers or projects to turn in at the return of a break.  

I digress. 

It's been exactly a week since Thanksgiving and what a year truly filled with blessings it has been. The Lord has been so faithful.

This year Nathan and I spent Thanksgiving in Nashville with the Kirkpatrick side of the family. In college I had many a friend from the Nashville area so it was especially fun to explore their stomping grounds and much of what the city had to offer.

Despite getting to Nashville around 1am on Wednesday, the excitement about the Boulevard Bolt didn't dwindle due to a lack of great sleep. For years I have seen the Boulevard Bolt t-shirts and I was utterly thrilled to have my very own (that is the best part of races). Those of us running the race headed over to Belle Meade and I was able to rendezvous with my racing buddy, Smo (fun fact: the last race we did was a 5k in the Cayman Islands). It was at the start line that I realized the Boulevard Bolt was actually a five mile race, not a 5k (two mile difference here people). Though this came as a little bit of a shock, I couldn't help but be excited due to people being decked out in turkey hats and reindeer costumes. This year, there were 8,000 other people who decided a Thanksgiving Day race would be fun, so it wasn't until about mile two that Smo and I were really able to get our pace and find a hole in the pack to actually run. Five miles later, I was an official Boulevard Bolt runner. The race was such a fun experience and I loved getting to see my dear friend Smo and being a part of a Nashville tradition. 

Post Race Pic
The Kirkpatrick Runners: Post Race.
It was a wonderful weekend of delicious food and fellowship. Oh, and of course a Saturday filled with stellar rival football games. Another one added to the "W" column for my Dawgs (pumped for the SEC Champ on Saturday btw).

On our last day in Nashville Nathan took me to the famous Loveless Cafe. Let me just say, it was as good as advertised. Those blackberry preserves are divine and from this no-jelly/jam/preserves girl, that is sayin' a whole lot. Of course the biscuits added to the divine nature of the preserves. Simply delightful and so glad we were able to go.





1 comment:

  1. I went to Steven's sousin's wedding at the Loveless barn this summer... it was a fun place and the biscuits were very good!

    ReplyDelete