July 7, 2011

Growing in Grace

A  few weeks ago, Matt Currie (6th-12th grade youth pastor) preached at Redeemer about the rich young ruler. It is one of those controversial passages; however, he unpacked and dissected it in an impeccable manor. I could easily post my notes from that sermon because it was so good, but we will save most of that for another date.

I digress...

Growing in Grace. As soon as Matt uttered those words I first thought “hmm…” and secondly “that’s my desire.”

Since then I have wanted to dig a little deeper into the word “grace.” In the Christian community it can often just be a buzzword that gets thrown in sentences and is used rather often. I began to question what grace means universally as well as what it means for me personally.

Grace.
- Grace is God’s forgiving mercy.
- Every moment of our life is based on Grace-when we forget that we lose joy.
- Grace is where our hope and joy is found.

Grace is often used as a benediction and even as a greeting in the scriptures (“grace and peace to you…”) It is also used throughout other parts of the Word in a range of contexts. These are some pretty powerful verses in scripture which focus on the essence of Grace...

From his fullness we have all received Grace upon Grace.
John 1:16


But if it is by Grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise Grace would no longer be Grace.
Romans 11:6  

But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the Grace of God and the free gift by the Grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
Romans 5:15 


For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous. Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 5:19-21


Even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ-by Grace you have been saved. Ephesians 2:5


May I never forget…
- His Grace is sufficient for me, for us (2 Corinthians 12:9)
- I, we are called by his Grace (Galations 1:15)
- I, we are saved by his Grace (Ephesians 2:8)


As this filthy sinner continues to Grow in Grace and grapple with its depth and personal meaning, I leave you with these word from Philippians 1: 2, “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

No comments:

Post a Comment